Friday, April 21, 2006

que barbaridad

Today I mourn the death of local designer Mel Vergel De Dios. I saw in the papers that yesterday morning, at around 6:30 AM, he was found dead inside a car near UCPB Commonwealth/Don Antonio, with a plastic bag on his head, a cord around his neck and bruises all over his body. He was said to have been shot in the head once, and bloodied steel pipes, a knife and his ID were found in the same vehicle.

I was terribly shaken by the news, and I don't know why exactly. I frantically texted John and called Aries at school. I spent more than 15 minutes comiserating with my sister on the phone - nevermind that we were both in the office. She was just as affected.

I have never met the man. I have not followed his works, though I was able to see his latest (and final) collection at the recently concluded fashion week. Maybe I was affected because I hear his name thrown around at school. He was even noted by John during our interview for my entry to PhilStar's lifestyle journalism awards. Some of his last pieces were even in progress during my pattern-making class. Or maybe it's because he was found so near my house. The car was parked at the very bank where I alight the jeep on my way home. Maybe it's because he was only 36 and he'll never be able to show the world how good he could be. And isn't that what many of us fear ourselves, even while we are still alive? For him, that fear has materialized.

Here's to the man behind the two-tone ribbons. Tonight's bodice and serpentina pattern are dedicated to you.

No comments: