Ever since I started work I’ve been feeling the need to shop. When I stare at my closet, I don’t feel like I have enough stylish clothes. Which of course isn’t true. It’s just that I don’t have the latest trends and that’s what bothers me.
Being in Makati everyday did this to me. I turn green every time I see someone more pulled together than me. The weird thing is, I embrace my casual dress code. Except that in QC, everyone’s a slob beside me, and here, in my own office, there’s a girl who has lots of cute clothes.
Add to that the fact that since I started the expensive daily commute to the new company, big purchases and events have flooded in: the Mango sale, the Topshop sale, Karl’s birthday, Karl’s book launch… (yes I shopped in those sales but still feel deprived.)
What’s worse is that I don’t really want to make the sacrifices to be uber-pulled together. I don’t like wearing heels and pumps because I like walking fast and I like having money in the bank as savings. I can’t blow off my whole salary like my sister does. But I still like the idea of having all the best. So now, I’m in debt and mooching off of my sister’s clothes.
To top it all off I now have eyeglasses. The doctor says that contacts aren’t advisable for me and my daily glaucoma eyedrops. So I chose a nondescript pair “to go with everything I have.” Newsflash: they don’t. I’m so used to my hair accessories, hats, and humongous earrings. Now these glasses fight for attention.
I used to say I’d gladly don some glasses when I was purely a geek (around 10 years old) as a declaration of my personality. But appreciating my face more and more since then, I would like to take back what I said. I’m also used to wearing the big, big sunglasses, so scrounging through all the itty-bitty optical frames sucked. I guess eventually I’m going to find a pair that’ll really suit me: statement glasses that say I’m both beauty and geek. But now, I’m really uneducated about the whole eyewear thing. And broke.
Friday, August 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
tanya... breathe. slow down. you don't have to stress yourself out with all that. don't feel as if you have to keep up with other people. you are stylish, beautiful and fabulous. enjoy it.
Post a Comment