Thursday, February 08, 2007

i can smell your spicy brains.

After reading ia's blog and her musings on how she turned vanilla, I turned to thought on how I turned depraved.

I sort of developed a theory on how people view themselves and how they determine their own behavior.

First would be the kind that keep themselves pristine. I don't exactly know what they value: innocence, reputation or public image, maybe social acceptance. My examples would be Anne and my sister Lana (maybe the vanilla Ia too). Lana even gets compared to the ever-proper Bree on Desperate Housewives.

The other kind is composed of people who give themselves leeway in order to have a broader or better experience. That's me, and probably even Karl or May. And I guess definitely Kiara.

To illustrate: Anne and Lana, they rarely curse. Anne thinks it's wrong, while my sister says it's not ladylike (she will however, cuss in the privacy of her air-conditioned car while she's driving). Fair enough, I agree. Cursing is wrong and it is sometimes a turn-off. Yet my mouth is dirty as hell and I don't really mind. Somehow I don't think it takes away too much from my character and Karl has even said that it's a way to overcome communication or expression barriers within a person. (hahahahahaha yes, my boyfriend IS depraved. But I do agree that cursing is an effective, descriptive and colorful part of language and expression.)

Another example: would you sleep with someone just because (you're not sleeping with anyone else anyway, you're bored, you're really craving for some action, you're out of practice, whatever.) or would you rationalize (you don't want to hurt the person, you don't want emotional mess, you only sleep with an official boyfriend, you are minimizing your magic number.) If you think an man's oversized cardigan would be good as a dress, can you muster up enough courage to go out and wear it?

I can actually say that on a theoretical level, I don't prefer one perspective over the other. On the practical level, however, I am governed by one of them. I equally respect, and am actually enthralled by individuals in the other camp. The key is to be deliberate. People are intriguing, whether vanilla or spicy, when they believe in who they are.


1 comment:

Happily Lost said...

The key is to be deliberate. People are intriguing, whether vanilla or spicy, when they believe in who they are. --- brilliant. Decisiveness as to who I am is what I feel I sorely lack. It's about time I made my point and took a side I suppose. I can't rely on accidental spurts of personality forever (see Chely's post on my random quips). hahaha, I sound like a footnote.