Friday, April 27, 2007

i am just about out of dresses

Developing personal style has been a long-running interest of mine. Recently, it's been magnified by studying design and pattern-making, and also by following a blog called The Sartorialist, which my sister found. I am a big fan of Scott Schuman, the Sartorialist, who has a very learned, broad and yet humble appreciation of style. Since then, I've been trying to define the spirit that I want to come out of the clothes I wear: deliberate but carefree and with humor (different from "effortless", as Scott says, because we all spend some effort on dressing up), appropriate to occasion and lifestyle, creative, unexpected or intelligent-looking, with the right amount of subtlety.

My trip to Hong Kong also invigorated this grand quest, seeing all the citizens unapologetically dress the way they want to or need to. The corpo zombies don't look so zombie-like when they don a spiffy suit, and the college kids don't look like they just rolled out of bed. The locals also have a very mature and sophisticated color and pattern sense: the yellow, orange, green and purple shoes actually get bought there! One of my favorites was a girl in a black skirt and hoodie, a pale, dull olive shirt and bag, black tights and purple patent pumps. There was also a man in dark denims, a black cotton sport coat, a black and grey striped shirt and houndstooth sneakers.

So upon my return to Manila, I've been wearing lots of skirts and dresses. Dresses are the best: they look the most polished for the least amount of effort (no mixing and matching; just accessorize!). But since they're very memorable outfits, I find it so hard to repeat them! I am starting to run out of skirts and dresses to wear!

Anyway, the good thing is that I'm getting good usage for my investment. It's time to put some more mileage into those beautiful clothes, people!!!

No comments: